Ragdale dining room

http://collections.lakeforest.edu/omeka/plugins/Dropbox/files/lfspragdscrap00140-1.jpg

Title

Ragdale dining room

Description

This image looks south, from near the access hall/pantry to the kitchen, showing the south wall of the dining room a decade after the Ragdale Foundation was created by Shaw granddaughter, Alice Judson (Hayes). 1986 was the year that the property was transfered to the ownership of the City of Lake Forest, leased back to the Foundation. By this time also the Foundation also owned the Barnhouse, the Shaw 1898 farm group adaptively reused as a residence in 1938. There the residents of the Foundation's artists' community took their evening meal together, not in this dining room. By this time this room was used for receptions only.

The paper shown is the second known, added in 1942 by Sylvia Shaw Judson, Shaw's daughter, during the war when the original paper was not available as a replacement. Compare this paper to that in an earlier view, elsewhere in this scrapbook collection.

The table and chairs, etc. not the original set. That group of furniture now is found on the dining porch, northwest of this room through a doorway. This more formal dining room suite was moved here from Shaw's last apartment in the 2400 block of Lakeview, Chicago. It is medieval-revival/English Arts & Crafts in character, Shaw's own design and with his initials in one of the legs of the trestle table.

The wall on the left, the east wall, is transparent above, with patterned leaded glass. On the other side is the hall or gallery, lateral or longitudinal and providing access across the length of the first floor, in the classic Beaux Arts planning manner. Above the windows is the original Britanny dinnerware (Quimper pottery).

The distinctive tall, narrow brick fireplace is similar to ones like it in British Arts & Crafts architecture and design of the period. It also is like the master bedroom fireplace at Glen Rowan House (Lake Forest College, 1909 for Clifford Barnes) and the dining room one at the John Dorr Bradley house, built by shaw near Ragdale at roughly the same time (1898).

The wall on the right, with the bay window looking west, overlooks the prairie. Under the window is the radiator for the heating added in 1942, when the house was updated for year-around living during the war. The family could raise vegetables, fruit, chickens and lambs for food to supplement their rations.

Arthur H. Miller February 24, 2011

Source

Ragdale Scrapbook, page 140

Publisher

Ragdale Scrapbook

Date

1986 (according to Ragdale, A History and Guide. Hayes and Moon.)

Relation

See page 45 in Ragdale. a History and Guide (Hayes and Moon).
Ragdale Scrapbook (Lake Forest College)

Format

image/tiff

Language

English

Type

Image

Identifier

lfspragdscrap00140-1.jpg

Original Format

Black and white

Physical Dimensions

7 11/16 x 9 11/16 inches

Social Bookmarking

Image Viewer

Click below to view an image using the Zoom.it viewer.