Henry Clay Durand (1827-1901), his family, his household and Lake Forest (Ill.) home, 1890s.
This photographic view shows Henry Clay Durand (1927-1901) seated in his carriage with his spouse in front of his home, with his daughter and retainers nearby. The house, which dated from 1860 and was frequently remodeled before it burned in 1912, appears to reflect an ca. 1890 renovation in a refined Queen Ann Style with elements (eye brow windows, porch fretwork) reflecting the east coast Shingle Style--in the mode of Henry Ives Cobb, architect of Durand led projects locally, the nearby Presbyterian Church (1887) and the Henry Clay Durand Art Institute (1892), Lake Forest University.
The photo appears in a 1976 brochure of booklet, larger format, that was distributed by the First National Bank of Lake Forest, succeeded by Northern Trust. The bank later was not able to locate the originals. This view is shared tentatively and subject to assertion of ownership by the publisher. (The view is dated ca. 1872 by the bank, but Durand took the house in 1875 and in 1876 appeared with his beard dark in Biographical Sketches of the Leading Men of Chicago...., 3rd ed.) This view serves here as a reference for analysis of the Carol Blomquist donated image ( http://collections.lakeforest.edu/items/show/3929 ) of the Durands in front of their house, apparently, but before the renovation reflected in this image.