Sculptor Mrs. Clay (Sylvia Shaw) Judson and art collector Mrs. Solomon B. Smith, at a 1958 Japanese Print Exhibition, Durand Institute, Lake Forest College
At an exhibit of Japanese prints, Lake Forest College, in 1958, shown arriving in this photograph are two notables in the Chicago and Lake Forest art world, Mrs. Clay (Sylvia Shaw) Judson and Mrs. Solomon Byron (Babs) Smith.
Mrs. Judson later (after the death of Clay Judson, 1960) was Mrs. Sidney Haskins. Mrs. Judson was the author of the 1954 book, The Quiet Eye (Regnery), repirnted again in the 1980s, and the sculptor of works in Brookfield Gardens, SC; in front of the State House, Boston, MA; and in the rose garden of the White House, Washington, DC. Many of her works remain aorund Lake Forest in public, semi-public and private garden and other settings. In that same building the College hosted a first retrospective show of her sculptures and biography, 1998, under the direction of History Prof. Virginia Stewart, as a practicum for a course in Public History (with the archives of that exhibit deposited in the Archives).
Mr. and Mrs. Smith were internationally known collectors of contemporary (mid-century) art, scuptures and paintings. These were displayed in and around their architect Howard Shaw-designed 1898 house, Mayflower Road, with its renovated public rooms by James Speyer, a student of Mies van der Rohe (interior demolished, 1990s and art transferred to the Art Institute, etc.). Architect Shaw (1869-1926) was Mrs. Judson's father.
Click below to view an image using the Zoom.it viewer.